Re: full exp followed by full imp

From: <dba_temp1_at_nika.EBay.Sun.COM>
Date: 1996/01/17

In article o2j_at_news.fsu.edu, ispa_at_beagle.ispa.fsu.edu (ispa) writes:

> We're are going to reinstall our oracle installation on another
> machine and want to backup our current database using exp
> using a full/complete export. Then we plan to restore the datbase
> using a full import with imp.
>
> The question I have is does the full imp needs to have an empty database
> created before it can be imported? Or will it create the database
> files and log files etc.

The minimum requirement is that you need to create a new database with at least SYSTEM tablespace on it. The other tablespaces will be created by the import.

> If imp needs a database to import the data to. Does the database
> files and log files have to be the same size as the orginal database
> or can it be different?

They can be different.

> What happens to the system files created on the new database? Will
> the imp command destroy them and in the process create database conflitcs?

Import does not create control files (if that is what you mean by system files).

Ravi. Sun Microsystems, Inc. dba_temp1_at_nika.ebay.sun.com Received on Wed Jan 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message