Re: A server for Oracle WG 2000

From: Arne Bruening <bruening_at_wmd.de>
Date: 1996/01/17

Joe Arnold wrote:

> I need recommendations from users who are familiar with Oracle
> servers.
> I am a Macintosh (mainly) consultant. I have been developing data
> base applications using Omnis 7. This is a cross platform tool
> (develop on Mac, Windoze, OS2 and immediately it will run on the
> other). I need to set up an Oracle WG 2000 server that can be
> accessed by all the above hardware. I am torn between OS2 and
> Widows NT.
> Has anyone gone through this and would you share your information to
> a beginner?

We testet both (and Oracle/NetWare and Oracle/Solaris). There aren't much differences between both. Both are easy to install and have the same graphical administration tools. Both come with SQL*Net-servers for several protocols.
But there is one important difference: Performance. While Oracle/2 is the fastest Oracle-port we've seen here, Oracle/NT's performance is poor. On the same hardware, Oracle/2 was about 2.5 times faster than Oracle/NT. You can do this testing yourself by ordering the 90-days trial CD from Oracle with all Oracle servers for Intel-based systems on it. Another point that may interest you is that Oracle and IBM signed an agreement that makes OS/2 the main platform for Oracle Workgroup server, so you will get good support for Oracle/2.

        Arne

---*** final beta signature. Release-version soon to be released ***---

Arne Bruening, WMD GmbH, Hamburg, Germany