Re: Pro*C vs. PL/SQL

From: Squires Scott <ssquires_at_osprey.csrv.uidaho.edu>
Date: 1996/01/16

Kevin Merritt (merrittk_at_ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: I would like anybody's thoughts on the advantages and/or
: disadvantages of developing robust applications in PRO*C
: vs. PL/SQL.

: We are porting a mature, robust COBOL application to Oracle
: and would like to choose the right long-term development
: tool.

: Specifically, I'd like feedback comparing PRO*C with PL/SQL
: on the following areas:

: Performance
: Learning Curve
: Long Term Maintainability
: Time of Development

: For purposes of this comparison, assume that our staff is
: comprised of strong C programmers who have no knowledge of
: either PRO*C or PL/SQL.

: I appreciate your feedback in advance.

: Kevin Merritt

Kevin,

We are using PRO*C to do all our programming against Oracle 7.1.4 on a Sequent 2000 and we love it.

Performance:
Dynamic memory allocation available in PRO*C C is a more developed language, offering more programming options than PL/SQL We have noticed a SIGNIFICANT performance increase when using PRO*C over PL/SQL Learning Curve:
The hardest part in learning PRO*C is the '*C' part. If your programmers have C experience, all they need is training in SQL and relational database structure. Then comes the embeding of the SQL in your C code and your done. The precompiler does the rest.

Long Term Maintainability:
I suspect C will be around for a while and Oracle seems to be doing rather well. With the ability to create libraries of often used code, development time can be greatly reduced. This really helps when writing reports or apps.

Time of Development:
After you define your general libraries and get a good understanding of the PRO*C syntax, the time aspect is comparetive to other code generation in C.

Hope this helps.

Scott Squires
Paul Rumelhart
Comp Services
University of Idaho
Moscow, Idaho
ssquires_at_uidaho.edu
paulr_at_uidaho.edu Received on Tue Jan 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message