Struggling with OCI :-<

From: Allan Hoeltje <ahoeltje_at_bearriver.com>
Date: 1996/01/16

I am developing a Macintosh C++ app that uses the Oracle Call Interface to do simple INSERT and SELECT commands. The version I am using is Oracle 6. This is my first Oracle exposure but I have used other RDBMS systems in the past, notably Sybase, so I am not a total newbie.

I have two major problems:

  1. the oermsg() function never returns a text message no matter which version of the error return code I give it. The documentation is unclear on what the first parameter is supposed to be, it might be the cursor data area csrrc variable, or it could be csrarc; the sample on page 19-26 of the ³Programmer¹s guide to the Oracle Interfaces² says crs_rc but that can¹t be correct because no such identifier exists. In addition to never returning a text message, oermsg also has the unique feature of sometimes causing a BUS error.
  2. After parsing, binding, and executing a SELECT statement I would like to know how many rows will be available for fetching. The documentation is vague but hints that csrrpc in the cursor data area (rows processed count) will contain the number of rows affected, but it is always 0 after the call to oexec. (I have noticed that csrrpc is incremented by 1 for each call to ofetch, not exactly a useful feature.)

-Allan Received on Tue Jan 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message