Re: AS/400 and DB2 vs. Unix and Oracle

From: Dennis Weiner <d.weiner_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/01/15

In <4dcacb$co1_at_lehi.kuentos.guam.net> crobato_at_kuentos.guam.net (Christopher Robato) writes:

>In message <4dc12i$q0h_at_vanbc.wimsey.com> - gschenk_at_wimsey.com (Gerry
 Schenk) wr
>ites:
>:>
>:>Last week I posted the article "AS/400 vs Unix. It has been very
>:>interesting to see the different posts. As indicate in my original
 post we
>:>have been a Unix/Novell shop for the last 5 years, running Oracle 6
 and
>:>Oracle 7. After reading the posts, I'm not convinced that the
 AS/400 is
>:>any better than Unix. The majority of the posts have concentrated
 on the
>:>hardware side and reliability. From what I can see there is not
>:>much of a difference.
>:>
>:>Having read the arguments, I more curious about the application
 side.
>:>What makes the AS/400 and DB2 more attractive than Unix and Oracle.
>:>
>:>We are running on Oracle 7.1.6, soon to be 7.2. We have been
 running in
>:>a client server shop with Windows 3.1, using Uniface, Power Builder
 and
>:>Objectview.
>:>
>:>We are looking for a Inventory Control/Merchandising system, that
 can
>:>support 150 locations running Novell, where the data is batched
 through a
>:>nightly DOS process back to the Head Office. Currently JDA's MMS
 running
>:>on the AS/400 is the favorite.
>:>
>:>Perhaps someone can answer the following questions.
>:>
>:>1. Are there more Business applications on the AS/400 than
>:>there is on Unix?
>
>25,000, possibly 30,000 applications versus about 10,000 for Sun or
 AIX.

>:>
>:>2. Are the costs for these types of applications typically more or
 less
>:>on these types of systems?
>
>My AS/400 application actually costs less than a similiar system for
 SCO
>Unix. Quite depends from vendor to vendor and the number of users.
>

>:>
>:>3. Any recommendations on either AS/400 applications or Unix
>:>applications. For the Unix applications, it would be preferable
 that
>:>they run with Oracle.
>:>
>:>4. What kinds of Retail locations are running Unix and Oracle.
 I've
>:>heard or read that Starbucks, Walmart and Home Depot are using
 AS/400s.
>:>
>
>That's true. So is Duty Free Shoppers around the world, and the top
 retail
>businesses in my area.
>
>:>I look forward to the all the excellent responses.
>:>
>:>Below is some of my thoughts on why Unix is better. Below that is
 the
>:>original post, which I've included for the benefit of the readers of
 the
>:>Oracle newsgroup, which I've cross posted to.
>:>
>:>Thanks in advance.
>:>
>:>regards,
>:>
>:>->Gerry Schenk
>:>->gschenk_at_wimsey.com
>:>
>:>
>:>In support of Unix, this is what I can see.
>:>
>:>1. It is very progressive. The OS has been around for 20 years and

>:>foundations of the Internet are based on Unix. It has a lot of
 support
>:>and is a very open system.
>
>You should see how progressive OS/400 is. How about an object
 oriented
>design and architecture, with microkernel. An interface built on
 hypertext
>links. 64 bit architecture, data sizes and addressing capability.
 Single
>level store, for instance, allows it to suspend threads or processes
 in
>operation, shut down the machine, and continue the process later (like
>month from now). It now has 70 to 80% of Open Unix calls too.
>
>For protocols it will support SNA/APPC/APPN, TCP/IP, outright; NetBIOS

>/NetBEUI through LanServer/400 and the FSIOP, and later hopefully with
 IPX
>using Netware 4.1.
>
>IBM is now moving various internet software and utilities into the
 AS/400,
>like the ability to be a Web server. They also got plans to turn the
 AS/400
>into a Notes server as well.
>
>The bundled Client Access/400 software allows immediete hookup to DOS,

>Windows, and OS/2 clients, including ODBC support and for OS/2
 stations with
>DB2/2 v2, DRDA and synchronous updates.
>
>AS/400s also mesh well with existing Unix sites. I heard of places
 that run
>such mixed environs.
>
>:>
>:>2. I can add practically anything to our Sparcs. In our shop, I
 have
>:>used a variety of drives. Drive selection is based on price,
 availability,
>:>speed and cache. I've added modems (Practical Peripherals, USR),
>:>printers (HP 3D, 4SIMX, dot matrix), terminals(Wyse 60s), drives
>:>(Seagate, Micropolis, Fast Wide - 20MBs), tape drives (DLT, 8MM,
 4MM,
>:>QIC).
>:>
>:>3. Software. Ton of software from the Internet. eg. Cern's
>:>httpd(has proxy capabilities with caching), Tpage(pager software
 that
>:>allows us to page if a process or machine is down), various editors,
 ftp
>:>utilities(ncftp), gnu tools (grep, gcc, rcs), news software(inn and
 cnews),
>:>mail software (pop2, pop3, pine, elm, sendmail, smail), time sync
>:>software(ntp), perl(scripting language), faxing software(hylafax),
 comm
>:>software(uucp, ecu, kermit), compression software(gzip, pkzip, and
 pkzip
>:>compatible unzip and zip). Plus many more.
>:>
>
>Unix can't be beat for free software. To ask for free software for
 the
>AS/400 is like begging for free parts from your Mercedes Benz or
 Cartier
>dealer. Good luck.
>

>:>4. Reliability. Our Sparc IPX with 64M RAM, 7G of disk, 2 SCSI
>:>controllers and has been in operation since 1991. In
>:>that time we've only had one serious problem and that was caused by
 the
>:>power supply on the external case that we put two drives into.
 Other
> [...]
 1989.
>It's predecessor is even a tougher bitch---there are System 36s that
 hasn't
>gone down for more than a decade. The base of such machines are still

>significant, more than 200,000 of these System 36s, 38s and 34s, and
 the
>users just won't give them up.
>

>:> We also have a Sparc 1000 with 320M RAM, 60G of disk, 2 system
 boards,
>:>4 CPUs and 6 SCSI controllers. The problems we've had included two
>:>power supplies which gave out. One time the power supply went out
 at
>:>9:00am on a Sunday and Sun had it repaired by 2:00pm the same day.
>:>Other problems have been mainly with hard drives that we have added.

>:>One of the problems involved a bad batch of drives from the
 manufacturer
>:>and the other involves heat.
>:>
>:>Our biggest problem has been that we didn't anticipate the amount of
 data
>:>that were going to store. As a result, we have 18 seperate drives,
 where
>:>we should have RAID.
>:>
>:>The majority of the arguments that I have heard for the AS/400 is
 that it
>:>is a Business box, it is more reliable and that you don't need the
>:>same amount of support staff that is required for Unix.
>:>
>
>True true. The only thing easier to use in the world is a Macintosh.
>personally find the AS/400 easier to set up and use than a *PC*.
>

>:>As for the business part of the box, the AS/400 is certainly being
>:>promoted that way. As for reliability, I feel it is just what you
 put
>:>into the box. As for support, it depends on how you want to pay for
 it.
>:>You either have it internally or you pay for it through service
>:>contracts. We don't have a large staff. To service the boxes, we
>:>basically have 1 sysadmin and 1 dba, and neither of us is 100%
 system admin.
>:>
>
>That's more than enough. He does have to unlearn a lot of things
 about Unix,
>since the AS/400 can be a culture shock. You have to understand the
 system
>in terms of an object oriented paradigm, like everything in the system
 are
>encapsulated objects that you don't hack at. A lot of system
 implementations
>are hidden because of the paradigm, and security is extremely tight,
 with
>every object given a security tag.
>
>:>
>:>***** Start of original post *****************
>:>
>:> We have been using Unix since 1991, primarily SunOS 4.1.x and
 Solaris
>:>2.x. Obviously our experience base is with Unix and Oracle, not
 with
>:>RPG, DB2 and AS/400s.
>:>
>:>The intent of this post is not to start a flame war, but rather get
 some
>:>opinions on the strengths and weeknesses of the AS/400 vs. UNIX.
>:>
>:>I work for a company that has a 150 retail locations. Our primary
>:>platform at the store is Novell, with the Head Office system on Sun
>:>Sparcs, which includes a Sparc 1000 running Oracle 7.
>
>Novell is a headache.
>
>:>
>:>
>:>Most of the applications and reports have been developed in house,
>:>written primarily in C and Uniface. This includes the Purchase
 Order
>:>System and inventory control.
>
>That's similar to what I have.
>
>:>
>:>Recently a new VP of Finance was hired on, who is in charge of the
 IS
>:>group. This new individual is very much against development and
 much
>:>prefers "canned" packages. As such all development has pretty much
>:>stopped. He is also familiar with IBM's AS/400 and wants to replace
 the
>:>existing system with a AS/400 package. His complaint about the
 current
>:>system is that it lacks proper inventory control. This is something
 that
>:>we were working towards, but the project was cancelled.
>
>Inventory Control is the AS/400's hidden name. Lots and lots of
 packages out
>there, some very specific to the type of retail operation you have
 (drug
>store, jewelry store, video rental,)
>
>:>
>:>We've had discussions about this and he is convinced that the AS/400
 is
>:>more popular, that packages on the AS/400 are less expensive and
 more
>:>readily available. He claims that he cannot find a reasonably
 priced
>:>Inventory Control UNIX based package.
>:>
>
>AS/400 software can be cheaper because they are not as a big as a
 headache
>compared to Unix packages in terms of support and maintenance. Just
 my
>opinion.
>
>:>I have very little exposure with an AS/400. What are the pros and
 cons
>:>of the AS/400 vs. UNIX. I'd appreciate any feedback.
>:>
>
>Email me, if you wish to know more.
>
>:>Thanks in advance.
>:>
>:>->Gerry Schenk
>:>->gschenk_at_wimsey.com
>:>
>:>
>

>*>>>Vote OS/2 for Presidential OS, Campaign '96<<<*
> ***** crobato_at_kuentos.guam.net *****
> [[[ Anime .sig follows ]]]
>"Seigi no Senshi, Sailor Fuku bishoujo senshi, Sailor Venus!"
>"Sanjyo Yo!"---Minako Aino, Code Name wa Sailor V!

Its not as/400 vs unix

        DB2 vs Oracle
        open vs proprietary

Last year the prediction was that unix dominates in the year 2020.

This year i'm not so sure. It does not matter who's hardware or software is superior.
IT's Bill and Client Server that will dominate.          Received on Mon Jan 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message