Re: Help with Forms 4.0

From: Lee levy <levy.lee.ls_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: 1996/01/14

This is a standard technique which you will have to master. From memory:
1. Put the description field in the base table, but make it a non-base table item
2. Add a post-query trigger which runs a cursor to get the appropriate description value from the product table. 3. Put an LOV on the productid item that looks up on the product table and returns both product id and product description to the base-table items
*OR* if they dont want LOV validation (they normally would for a product code) then add a when-validate-item trigger to the product id item
which retrieves the description field, similar toi the post-query (you might be able to use the same code - yes, should be able to). DONT use a post-text-item field. This fires inconveniently for this type of thing.

If you need to ask questions this basic, I think you need to give serious consideration to shipoing yourself off for a course - if you cant do this stuff, your productivity is seriously compromised and you would be better off spending the money.

I dont know of any books for 4.0 - but then I dont know any sane person who is still using the bug-filled ^$%^$%#^*$#. version.(Sorry) - admittedly, I dont know what platform you are using.

HIH
Lee

In article <30F86BDF.2B2E_at_spyder.net>, "Jeffrey A. Hallman" <hallman_at_spyder.net> says:

>I need to display a read only description field along side
>it's editable id. The table layout would be:
>
>LineItem Table
>------------------------
> LineNO
> ProductId
> ProductDescription
> :
>
>Product Table
>------------------------
> ProductId
> ProductDescription
>
>The used would be editing/viewing LineItem table. After entering
>ProductId, the ProductDescription is automatically filled in from
>the Product table.
>
>Also, can anyone recomend a GOOD book on Forms 4.0?
>
>Jeff Hallman
>hallman_at_spyder.net

     / / /\     |  Lee Levy, ISSD Systems Development, Del Code (34)
    / / /  \    |  BHP Information Technology,  ACN 006 476 213
   / / / /\ \   |  PO Box 261, Warrawong, NSW 2502, Australia
   \ \/ / / / | PH: +61 42 75-5485 Fax: -5500 Tie: 8855-     \ / / / | Internet : levy.lee.ls_at_bhp.com.au
Opinions expressed are mostly my own, so give me some credit. Received on Sun Jan 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message