Re: One table per tablespace?

From: Vijaya Kumar Nair <vnair_at_ccm.tdsnet.com>
Date: 1996/01/13

Hello,

As the data is growing at the rate of 500 MB per year, I suggest you create a tablespace with three files of 500 MB each at present. If possible, try to put all three files on different drives. Create the table with initial extent of 490 MB and next extent of 490 MB each with minextents of 3. THis will necessarily occupy all the space on that tablespace.

From third year onwards, you can add one datafile each of 500 MB depending upon the actual growth. That would be my approach. This is because, if you find the growth is more, you can adjust the size of next extent and work with it. Also, if performance demands, you can add new drives to the system and do necessary adjustments in file layouts. In all my systems, I have limited a datafile to the size of 500MB, just for ease of working and adjustments.

Best of Luck.

Vijay Nair Received on Sat Jan 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message