Re: Connecting to PO7 through SQL*NET

From: <gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca>
Date: 1996/01/13

> pconner_at_cais.comBob Randa) writes:
> I have PO7 for Windows 95 installed and can not connect
> to the database through the Oracle Net Test, Forms 4.5,
> or Visual Basic 3.0. After attempting to connect the application
 <snip>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Bob,

I don't believe that PersonalOracle7 has a 'Listener' process that allows it to act as a database server over a network. In other words, you can't use 't:abc.def.ghi' or 'tns:xyz' to connect. You must use the TWO_TASK identifier '2:', or an alias for the '2:'. This avoids SQL*Net completely.

Try logging in again, but use '2:' (no quotes as the connect string). If this works, I recommend setting up a LOCAL variable so that it is the default.

Incidentally, you can still use Personal Oracle7 over a network, as in you can define table 'abc_at_t:abc.def' in your Personal Oracle7 and 'see' remote tables (usually, it'll be Oracle7 WorkGroup server or Oracle7 Enterprise Server).

Good luck,
Gary Wong (gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca)
Information Technology Consultant
(604) 360-1699 (Voice)
(604) 384-1178 (Fax) Received on Sat Jan 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message