Re: How do you name your triggers?

From: mark rostron <markro2_at_atlantis.rosemount.com>
Date: 1996/01/13

Fair enough and good point. Depends how much control you have over the client code.

The case I assume you are talking about is where you want to have different update triggers depending on which field gets updated, using the "update of" syntax.

We tried this. What we found was: unless you have complete control over the client code, most of which we dont since we are running ORACLE applications, you cant guarantee that a trigger will or wont fire based on field activity.

For example, you update 1 field out of 10 queried into a screen and commit. I think the form always generates the same update statement regardless of which field is updated. As a result, you cant control the firing of a trigger at the field level.

But, if you have direct control over the sql sent to the database and are happy to manage your triggers in this way, what you say is correct. Our names will not differentiate at the field level. You can, however, do a lot within the trigger using comparisons between :new and :old.

mr Received on Sat Jan 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message