Re: Query tools for end users? Opinions?

From: Paulo Soromenho <P.Soromenho_at_spanboard.co.uk>
Date: 1996/01/12

Hi,

Were using Oracle Data Browser and Oracle Glue.

We tried Oracle Data Query but it requires a lot of setups to be performed to define the business entities. You need a developer dedicated to its config.

Oracle Data browser is a good tool. and no big setups need to be done

Oracle Glue users need to know SQL. But it is a powerfull tool for "difficult reports" We have Glue Spreadseets with 600+ SQL Statements.

Also Beaware of users requesting cartesian products, etc. Your DBA will be busy killing these processes. With experience users tend not to do these mistakes frequently.

Notice that it is essential that you use a RDBMS version with a stable cost based optimizer. Beaware that these tools are resource hungry specially on big databases. If you are not carefull your OLTP will suffer.

But through my experience the organisation benefits, the users gain awareness of where the data and how it is located. The Computer system stops to be a misterious black box to be another business tool like a calcualtor or a secretary.

--

Regards,

Paulo Soromenho, Telephone: +44 1265 55111 Spanboard Products Ltd, Fax: +44 1265 54125 Grupo Sonae, Email: P.Soromenho_at_spanboard.co.uk Northern Ireland. 10, Curragh road, Coleraine, BT51 3RY Queries on Spanboard & Sonae UK email please mail: Postmaster_at_spanboard.co.uk.