Re: ODBC and Oracle for Win NT

From: Mohamad Nazri Shuib <mnshuib_at_gware.po.my>
Date: 1996/01/11

"D.Dinardo" <wyddi0> wrote:
>I'd be grateful if someone could email me a quick explanation of ODBC and
>tell me whether or not it is something I should consider providing support
>for on an Oracle Server installation.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>--
>Kind regards,
>Dominic Dinardo.
>d.dinardo_at_profs.scislon.simis.com

ODBC is simply put, another layer on top of SQL*Net will will allow nonSQL*Net applications to access the Oracle database. Most application development tool will support ODBC.

Whether you need to provide ODBC on your Oracle server depends very much on your application environment. Generally speaking, if you only need Oracle applications or applications that support SQL*Net then you do not need ODBC. If you have application that does not support SQL*Net and you want these application to access Oracle database, ODBC would be one of your options. Another option you can look at is OLE. It all depend on your environment though.

The above are strictly my own opinion, unless otherwise stated.

Mohamad Nazri Shuib                     E-mail: mnshuib_at_gware.po.my
GroupWare 2000 Sdn Bhd                  Tel: (603) 253-5331
19G Medan Setia 1                       Fax: (603) 253-9927
Plaza Damansara
Bukit Damansara
50490 Kuala Lumpur
MALAYSIA