Re: Dealing with size limitations in PL/SQL

From: Jared Still <jared_at_valleynet.com>
Date: 1996/01/11

"Robert C. Nix" <rnix_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:

>Justina Seet wrote:
>>
>> Problem
>> -------
>>
>> Two days ago, I encountered an error message :
>> ORA-06501 PL/SQL :internal error,arguments :[ ] , [ ] , [ ] , [ ] , [ ] ,
>> [ ], [ ] while compiling my recomputation program.
>>
>> Cause
>> -----
>> I called Oracle hotline and found this out : PL/SQL compiler imposes a
>> limit on program size. Programs that exceed the limit cause a "program
>> too large" compilation error.
>>
>> Solution
>> --------
>> Between the BEGIN and END of a program, maximum 64K compiled code is
>> allowed. The best solution to this problem is to modularize program by
>> defining subprograms or packages.
>>
>> Question
>> --------
>> Does anyone know of another solution instead of having to divide my
>> package into 2 or more packages ?"

>This is only a limitation with the 16-bit windows products.
>It does not occur on unix, vms, ...

>The 32-bit version (whenever that is) should solve that.

>--
>Robert C. Nix
>Oracle Tools Support
>rnix_at_us.oracle.com

>DISCLAIMER:
>The thoughts, opinions, remarks, suggestions, ...
>expressed herein are my own and in no way should
>be taken as a statement from Oracle Corporation.
>I am NOT the voice of Oracle (not even close!).

I just had the same problem on Oracle 7.1.3.2 on a DG unix box.

I also was told that there is a 64k limitation on the parsed size of a package, regardless of platform. We were told to break the package up into more packages and recompile, which did work.

However, I am looking the parsed sizes in user_object_sizes right now, and I have one package that successfully compiled with a parsed size of 104k.

This 'limitation' seems somewhat arbitrary.

What's the story here? Is this a bug? Is it a problem that just hasn't been positively identified yet?

TIA Jared Still, Oracle DBA
RxNet, Division of Value Health
"All opinions are mine, not my employers" jared_at_valleynet.com Received on Thu Jan 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message