Re: HELP! Disappearing rows!?! DB corrupt?

From: Lawrence James <james.lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: 1996/01/10

In article <4a19t5$fhi_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com> tillkahle_at_aol.com (TillKahle) writes:
>From: tillkahle_at_aol.com (TillKahle)
>Subject: HELP! Disappearing rows!?! DB corrupt?
>Date: 5 Dec 1995 06:20:05 -0500

>Please help me!

>We have an Oracle 7.1.1.3 workgroup server running on
>Novell 3.12.
>A couple of weeks ago I had to shut down the instance
>brutally because a DML statement took over 3 hours
>and slowed the server down.

>Since that day, from one table (100 rows, 3 cols, 2 foreign
>keys, no triggers) rows keep disappearing (about 2 a day).

Is it possible that there is a trigger on another table that is deleting rows?

>I have recreated the table because I thought it might have
>suffered. The problem continued, so I revoked the right
>to modify that table from all users of the client software
>(only on client side, but the clients are pretty safe).

How about any stored procedures? You can grant execute on a stored procedure to a user and indirectly give them delete on the table.

>Has anybody out there had similar problems? Any ideas
>about recovery tools in case the database is corrupted?

I've never seen this behavoir before, not that it couldn't happen but I'd still be inclined to suspect application code. How about over the weekends presuming you have no user activity. Do rows still disappear?