Re: Need help on DBA-tasks

From: Robin Parker <parkerr_at_logica.com>
Date: 1996/01/10

In article <4d065c$192c_at_rs18.hrz.th-darmstadt.de> zentgraf_at_hp21.rbg.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (Joerg Zentgraf) writes:

>A few month ago I started with Oracle. Now I have built up a database which
>works together with several Delphi applications.
>I understand now tablespaces, tables, segemnts, as far as I need. There
>is only one problem in the moment, where I am not sure how to solve.

>The installation program of Oracle created a temporary tablespace, which
>contained only one datafile. A very small datafile. Because I was new with
>Oracle I used the Oracle tools for Windows (database manager, database
>expander,..)
>to expand my database. While the tables became larger I added new datafiles to
>the temporary tablespace. Now I have five datafiles for this tablespace (1M, 2M,
>2M, 5M, 20M)
>and the last two files were created with real storage parameters.

>One book suggested how to kill datafiles.

>With

>> alter database datafile 'name' offline drop;

>I tried to get rid of the small file, but this file was still alive. Now I have
>one
>further problem: After a few days running, Oracle produces errors on database
>activities:
>Cannot access datafile 'name' ORA...

>I inspected the dba_data_files table, but there is everything ok. The file
>"name' is available.

>I interrested in, how to get rid off this small files or how to handle the
>error.

>Many thanks for any answer,

>Joerg Zentgraf

If this tablespace contains data tables, then you need to export all of these tables, drop the tablespace, and then recreate it with the size of datafiles that you want.

If the tablespace is just for use by some users as Temporary tablespace then you can drop it and recreate it (not while users are using it though!).

Hope this helps

Robin. Received on Wed Jan 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message