Re: Running two databases stimutaneously

From: nick jost <nickjost_at_valleynet.com>
Date: 1996/01/10

rmanieri_at_novalink.com wrote:

>Sounds to me like you want use Symmetric Replication.
>First thing you want to do is have ALL your databases on the
>same page, get them running the SAME version of Oracle.
>Symmetric Rep is a complex animal and I don't recommend trying it
>or Prallel Server unless both nodes and or databases are on the
>EXACT SAME release.
>--

My company is currently considering purchasing Oracle and our sales rep mentioned symetric replication.

This is how I planned on using it:

We do car rentals and have offices all over the state. Unfortunatly sometimes the phone lines that carry our data go down. So we would have all the financial information reside at the corporate offices and have remote nodes that tracked where the cars were and would allow the agents to issue the rental agreements.

One of the problems is, how slow would this be over a 9600 line? Transfer would be no more than 10,000 records containing data about the type of car, it's id, and check-in out times.

Nick Jost
On his way to DBA Received on Wed Jan 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message