Re: Multiple Instance on Netware 3.12

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/01/10

cjg2_at_student.open.ac.uk_at_open.ac.uk wrote:
>I've got this to work but can't get sqlnet v2 running. Whatever I have set in the

>listerner.ora and tnsnames.ora I always get a cannot resolve TNS name errorwhen
>I try and connect.

>Crack this and I should be in business!

>Hope this helps
>Chris Gadsby
>cjg2_at_student.open.ac.uk

SQLNET v2 isn't all that tough once you get it figured out. For one though, I find the configuration tools Oracle provides make the job more difficult. The listener.ora file only needs to be on the server. Tnsnames.ora only needs to be on clients (including servers that will act as clients to other servers).

Here's what mine look like. Maybe you can just fill in the particulars for your network. Hope it helps.

TNSNAMES.ORA

mhp_drd =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = spx)
          (PROTOCOL = spx)
          (SERVICE = orasrv2)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
       (SID = drd)
      )

  )

mhp_drd_tcp =
 (DESCRIPTION=
  (ADDRESS_LIST=
   (ADDRESS=

    (COMMUNITY=mhp)
    (PROTOCOL=tcp)
    (HOST=192.251.36.249)
    (PORT=1521)

   )
  )
  (CONNECT_DATA=
   (SID=drd)
  )
 )

I don't think the COMMUNITY setting is all the critical. In fact I *think* it's more documentational than anything else. As you can see, they don't even match between the two files. The important values seem to be PROTOCOL, HOST, PORT, and SID for TCP/IP networks; and PROTOCOL, SERVICE, adn SID for IPX/SPX networks.

LISTENER.ORA

LISTENER = (ADDRESS_LIST=
                (ADDRESS=
                   (COMMUNITY=nov)
                   (PROTOCOL=spx)
                   (SERVICE=orasrv2)
                 )
                (ADDRESS =
                   (COMMUNITY = mhp)
                   (PROTOCOL = TCP)
                   (Host = 192.251.36.249)
                   (Port = 1521)
                 )
            )

CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER=10
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = ON
SID_LIST_LISTENER = (SID_LIST=
                     (SID_DESC=
                       (SID_NAME=ORA7)
                       (ORACLE_HOME=SYS:ORANW)
                     )
                     (SID_DESC=
                       (SID_NAME=test)
                       (ORACLE_HOME=SYS:ORANW)
                     )
                     (SID_DESC=
                       (SID_NAME=drd)
                       (ORACLE_HOME=SYS:ORANW)
                     )
                   )

If you change listener.ora, you must stop and restart the listener for the changes to take effect. Not so with tnsnames.ora though. Go figure.

BTW this listener.ora file has supported up to three different sids running concurrently even though I've only got one running (drd) at present.

(PS. Your "reply-to" field is coming through as an invalid email address - cjg2_at_student.open.ac.uk_at_open.ac.uk.)

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself!