Re: Moving tables from one tablespace to another

From: Ed White <ewhite_at_ingenia.com>
Date: 1996/01/09

cfischer_at_ancillary.utmrad1.utmb.edu wrote:

> I have been given the task of upgrading/moving an application. The
> tables are currently in Oracle v6 database but they are all in the
> system tablespace. I need to move them to an Oracle7 db on another
> machine and I need to put the tables in an application data tablespace
> and the indexes in an index tablespace. Everything is under one user. I
> know I can export the user but when I import it it wants to put it into
> the system tablespace again. How do I convince it that that is not the
> right thing to do? Do I have to edit the export file and change ALL the
> references?(Yuk)
>
> please post or send replies to cfischer_at_ancillary.utmrad1.utmb.edu
>
> Thanks

I can't say for sure that this will work but here is what I would try:

  1. Export only the tables that you want from the system tablespace by specifying TABLES=tablelist in the export command.
  2. Create the new tablespace and create a user for that tablespace, granting it the DBA privilage.
  3. Perform the import using this new user. The Database should now let you perform the import and the tables will be created under that new user and the default tablespace specified for that user.
  4. Revoke the DBA role from the tablespace user.
    • Hope this is of some help.
Ed White  (ewhite_at_ingenia.com)
http://www.ingenia.com/home/team/ewhite.html
Ingenia Communications Corporation