Re: Oracle database on DEC's Advanced File System

From: Lisa Roderick <roderick_at_eps.enet.dec.com>
Date: 1996/01/09

In article <30ED440C.5DA4_at_cho.ge.com>, chris.little_at_cho.ge.com says...

>Our DEC UNIX administrator is telling me with DEC's Advanced
>File System, one physical device can be partitioned such that it
>behaves like multiple devices. Thus the argument for multiple
>physical devices is obsolete.

Um, I'm confused. With ufs, you can partition a disk into several logical devices (mount /dev/rz1g /mnt1, mount /dev/rz1h /mnt2). You also can do this with AdvFS, if you like. The advantage of AdvFS is the ability to group several physical devices so that they appear as one and the ability to add and remove devices from this group easily.

>I'm wondering if anyone out there has experimented with this and
>what your findings are. I'm running Oracle 7.1.4 on DEC OSF/1
>3.2A. Thanks in advance for your help.

Lots of customers are using AdvFS. A disadvantage currently is that all I/O activity is funneled through CPU 0. This is significant if you're in an SMP configuration. This is schedule to be fixed in the next release of Digital UNIX. Otherwise, AdvFS is powerful and flexible. Also check out Logical Storage Manager, a companion product.

--
Lisa Roderick
Applications Systems Engineering Performance Group