Re: Why/when Oracle or Informix instead of something like Access or Paradox?

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/01/09

gwapstra_at_xs4all.nl (Geert Wapstra) wrote:

>Currently I'm orientating myself on several Database programs.
>I have to set up a database that will be up to 80 Mb and I have to
>distribute this database to 6
>offices located all over the world .
>The database will be updated by me every quarter with the latest
>information?
>Could somebody give me a good reason to use Oracle or informix instead
>of let's say
>Access?

>Thanks in advance,

>Geert Wapstra
>Amsterdam
>The Netherlands

You might want to consider Oracle for this because of it's SNAPSHOT feature. Snapshots are special read-only tables that replicate data off of a remote server. They're perfect for distributed data warehouse applications. Is that what you're trying to do?

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself!