Re: DB2 / SQL Replicator ?? <<<<<<<

From: Martin Kallenbach <100732.511_at_COMPUSERV.COM>
Date: 1996/01/08

kbradley_at_us.oracle.com (Kirk Bradley) wrote:

>Since DRDA is based on APPC why do you say your stuff must have
>better performance? got any numbers?

Since perfomance varies widely depending on network setup and traffic, number are hard to give.
Another point would be to look at total times (extract / transport / apply).
Since we *can* use high performance utilities for each of these phases (depending on circumstances) we can be a lot faster than sql. Example: Converting to the right numeric format for the atrget database during extract on MVS, building page formats on the mainframe, thus eliminating any load time, etc.

Main point is to go with bulk processing instead of row processing, where this is possible...

I can try to get numbers if you give me info / parameters about concrete environment. My feeling is that no one can be truly interested in well tuned marketing numbers (" there are lies, damned lies and performance benchmarks... ;-)")

Regards, Martin

kallm_at_platinum.com or 100732.511_at_compuserve.com http://www.platinum.com
Opinions are mine own, may be not PLATINUMs Received on Mon Jan 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message