Re: Power Objects: Why so slow?

From: Tom Cooke <Tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/01/07

In article <mikek-0201961058240001_at_franklin-tty14.jvnc.net>

           mikek_at_krt.com "Michael Kranzdorf" writes:

> In article <res1-3112950838390001_at_ivyland49.voicenet.com>,
> res1_at_voicenet.com (Alan Reinhart) wrote:
>
> > WOW! My favorite question!! Please check out Omnis 7.3.2 from Blyth
> > Software. They have a great web page at www.blyth.com. You can have a
> > PPC Native development environ that will knock the sox of OPO!!
>
> Are you concerned about building long-term applications with Omnis?
> Several people at large companies tell me they haven't heard of it and
> thus aren't interested. Blyth has been in financial trouble before, but I
> don't know their current state. When I monitored the discussions on
> CompuServe a couple of years ago there were significant complaints about
> tech support and data corruption. One company that wrote a financial
> application in Omnis is actively looking to port it away out of concern of
> the long-term health of Blyth. I don't mean to bash or anything, I'm just
> curious. Thanks,
>
> Michael Kranzdorf mikek_at_krt.com
> Kranzco Realty Trust http://www.krt.com 610.941.9292

OK, we also have a guy who swears by Omnis. But we are an Oracle site (apart from Access for hacking together pretty query-only EIS/what-if applications). I too would like to know if Blaze will always be slow - I have a project on the go now, and need to know if I should just drag the objects back from Blaze to the PO7 database on the same PC (try doing that in most other PC database packages - or even dragging the objects to an Oracle7 database on ......... [fill in large system here])

--
Tom Cooke

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever
 believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
                                                           John 3:16