Re: Running two databases stimutaneously

From: <rmanieri_at_novalink.com>
Date: 1996/01/05

warren_at_admin.flarc.edu.on.ca wrote:
>Can anyone tell me the best way to run to databases located on two
>different nodes stimutaneously. What I want is to access the one and when
>an update is done it immediately reflects on the other database. I believe
>I cannot use the Parallel Server because of the different platforms..one
>node being on a vax node and the other is on a alpha node. I am currently
>running oracle 7.1 open vms 6.1 on the alpha and 7.0, 6.1 on the vax. The
>nodes are not clustered. Currently both instances run in exclusive mode.
>Does anyone have any ideas on how to approach this .....
>thanks in advance
>Karen....

Sounds to me like you want use Symmetric Replication. First thing you want to do is have ALL your databases on the same page, get them running the SAME version of Oracle. Symmetric Rep is a complex animal and I don't recommend trying it or Prallel Server unless both nodes and or databases are on the EXACT SAME release.

  Bob Manieri                           email : rmanieri_at_novalink.com
  Database Administrator                voice : (610) 584-7085
  Ford Electronics, Lansdale, PA        pager : (609) 342-0314
  Business is war....information is the high ground.  - J.Abrahamson
  ...we can deprive the enemy of the high ground.  - J. Buford