Re: What's does oracle have that others don't?

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 1996/01/05

EndUser (enduser_at_enduser.com) who must have been having a REALLY BAD DAY writes:
> that is what you see mainly by people who try to raise these
> questions. basically, they are ignorant. they often come from
> the tiny world of pc and have no clue what it takes to run thousands
> of users in an enterprise. you can allow for ignorance if it is followed
> by a humbled attempt to recognize the shortfall, and correct it, but a
> lot of these idiots put their crotches ahead of their minds and spout off
> egotistically about the little bit they do know. they not only look foolish
> to those of us trying to teach them, but they eventually reach the point of
> futility, and so get no more comments.

   I've been asked to compare Oracle to Access (or Sybase to DBase etc etc) more times than I can remember. I've developed a shure shot analogy that never fails to replace the asker's perplexed (or occasionally smug) grin with an impressive glow of understanding:

   "Comparing Access to Oracle is like comparing a Dodge Neon to a Boing 747. Both are effective and powerful means of transporation, but you don't hop into the 747 to fetch something at the corner store (parking is a bitch) and you don't try to move 200 people across the Atlantic Ocean in a Neon."

   I then usually do my shameful impression of Star Trek's Scotty saying: "Ya gotta use the right tool for the right job lad!"

   Works every time.

--
   - Doug Harris
     IS Project Leader, Prices Division,