Re: system calls from within Oracle stored procedure

From: mark rostron <markro2_at_frmail.rosemount.com>
Date: 1996/01/03

I have often wondered about this too and agree it would be very nice, but then, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Something which I have not tried but think is possible is to use the alerts subsystem, which CAN execute system commands. I think you would need to set up a triggering table, and an alert to trigger on detection of a specific entry in it, which could also contain the command you want to run.
Be careful with how many of these things you set up because they do have a performance impact, but if you design it right, you could get away with a single alert to run all system commands.
cheers
mr Received on Wed Jan 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message