Re: find out who is connected to server, How ?

From: Bill Beaton <willyb_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/01/03

In article <4c0kt9$bfi_at_lear.avancer.fi>, Kari.Pannila_at_ougf.fi (Kari Pannila) writes:
|> Nathan Phan <nphan_at_singnet.com.sg> wrote:
|>
|> >Hi,
|> > I am taked to find out how can a dba find out the usage of each user,
|> >I had tried the following approach but to no avail.
|> > I am running Oracle Server 7.2 on AIX 3.2.5.The client connected to
|> >server via SQL Net.
|> > I tried the apporach from the Operating system and realized that I
|> >only see "oracle" process no matter which user login.
|> > I tried from the "sqldba" and find nothing that can help me to log
|> >down the usage.
|> > Anybody please offer some pointers. Thanks !
|> >

|> Hi
|>
|> You could try AUDIT command if you want to know what users are doing
|> in the database
|>

|> Kari

While the audit command WILL let you track the activities, there doesn't appear to be any way to determine the actual user making the connect. I have looked all over the place to even find the IP number making the connection, and have had no luck from any source (including via ECO-Tool scenarios). It's rather silly ... you can even get the directory of the executing program, but only see any actual host id when the user is logged onto a UNIX box. I personally hate seeing only 'OraUser' and 'daemon' as the so-called host-ids.

This is a particularly "nasty" issue for service bureaus ... you sell a certain number of seats to a client, and so only have a single ORACLE userid for that client. There is NO good way to determine who you really want to contact if a user action is causing a problem.

--
Names:	Bill Beaton			beatonb_at_cadvision.com
					Bill_Beaton_at_digitech.ab.ca