Re: What's does oracle have that others don't?

From: Jennifer Blair <btt_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/01/02

In <4ca6v7$2ej_at_global.gc.net> lansing_at_global.gc.net (Craig D. Lansing) writes:

>In article <30E44856.4C4F_at_us.oracle.com>,
> "Robert C. Nix" <rnix_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
>>sparodi_at_netpoint.net wrote:
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me what's so good about Oracle? I use dbase IV,
 Foxpro, and Access.

>>These database aren't even in the same league. It's not a valid
>comparison.
>
>Say it ain't so :)
>
>They all just store data, right?
>
>Craig D. Lansing

Users new to Oracle who are coming from a PC-based database background, often do not see the advantages. For instance, they're used to a total self-contained package, with lots of user-friendly features, like menus.

I recently taught a class in New York city where two students who were dBASE
users went nuts trying to compare Oracle to dBASE. They kept asking where
this feature was and that feature was. Unfortunately, we were only covering
SQL and PL/SQL, so they didn't get to see Forms or Reports, which would have
helped. But the biggest difference was the lack of a total package.

Programmers in the class tried to explain the difference in how Oracle handled data, and we all tried to explain the size and power of the databases it could handle, but they were stuck on what they knew.

This is a difficult transition, guys. The confusion is real.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Blair
Blair Technical Training
Alexandria, VA Received on Tue Jan 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message