OCI and character sets

From: Rob Blank <rob.blank_at_DaytonOH.NCR.COM>
Date: 1996/01/02

Is there a way to specify what character set an OCI program will accept. I don't mean the character set of the database but the character set that the OCI program returns from the database.

For example, I have a database with a western european character set. I also have SQLPlus for windows and SQLPlus on a UNIX box.  If I issue a select statement from both places, I get different results. On the windows client I get western european characters while on the UNIX box I don't. The oracle.ini
(SQLNet) file on the windows client specifies western european
as the character set. I can't find an analogous setting on the UNIX box. The same problem holds true if I write an OCI program
(which I suspect SQLPlus essentially is, no?)

Any thoughts? All help is greatly appreciated.

Rob Blank Received on Tue Jan 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message