Re: SOS --- SQL question

From: Alexander V. Lukyanov <lav_at_yars.free.net>
Date: 1996/01/01

Karla Johnson (ab803_at_lafn.org) wrote:

: In a previous article, ddhond_at_ix.netcom.com (Dinar Dhond) says:

: > I am trying to create a comma-delimited file using SQLPLUS, I have set
: >linesize to 255 characters, but I am getting a lot of blank spaces at
: >the end of the record. Is there any way to eliminate those blank
: >spaces.
: >ddhond_at_ix.netcom.com

: Apply the Oracle RTRIM function to your string before storing it.
: In other words, if you build your text string using the variable MY_STRING,
: then RTRIM(MY_STRING) will whack off the trailing blanks.

I don't think rtrin can help in this case. This problem is conserned with sqlplus. AFAIK, it always fill all the rest of line with spaces before writing it to spool file. If you work in unix, you can delete the spaces automatically after running sqlplus, or better in parallel, using named pipes. Look at man page on sed.

---
Alexander Lukyanov
lav_at_video.yars.free.net