Re: Question about X-terminals running Oracle Applications

From: Lee levy <levy.lee.ls_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: 1996/01/01

In article <4c1ra8$nt6_at_inet-nntp-gw-1.us.oracle.com>, Vivekanandhan Raja <vraja_at_us.oracle.com> says:

> Windows 3.1 and X Windows are very different Windowing Systems. So
>Windows 3.1 apps will not run on X Terms. Likewise Motif apps cannot run
>on Windows. As for performance issues, let me explain the concept of X.

 <clip>
> So, there is an overhead with X, but I think the
>location-transparency provided by X overrides this performance hit.
>Consider this scenario where your DISPLAY MANAGER is running on server X,
>your X client runs on server Y, while your display is some TERM Z.
>Since, you would be having X Terms with local DISPLAY MANAGERS things
>should be pretty fast - your X Client on server X talks to the XDM on
>TERM Z which is also the display.
>
> Oracle provides both Windows 3.x and Motif versions of its CDE
>tools.

I have to reply to this:
Despite the inherit differences between X-windows and ms-windows, we have found that we can use the one set of source code for ms-win and x-windows.
We use the F45genm tool to regenerate for x-windows the source code which we designed and developed for and under ms-windows. The changes required were trivial - basically we had to change the routine we were using for sizing our windows to check for the operating system (get_application_system(operating_system)) and do it based on that.
This allows us to maintain ONE set of source for both OS. We have been very happy with the result.

Lee

     / / /\     |  Lee Levy, ISSD Systems Development, Del Code (34)
    / / /  \    |  BHP Information Technology,  ACN 006 476 213
   / / / /\ \   |  PO Box 261, Warrawong, NSW 2502, Australia
   \ \/ / / / | PH: +61 42 75-5485 Fax: -5500 Tie: 8855-     \ / / / | Internet : levy.lee.ls_at_bhp.com.au
Opinions expressed are mostly my own, so give me some credit. Received on Mon Jan 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message