Re: An old Oracle database connected to ORACLE7?

From: <mreagan_at_fast.net>
Date: 1995/12/30

In article <DKC061.ML2_at_hkuxb.hku.hk>, kmku_at_hkusua.hku.hk (Ku Kam Ming) wrote:

> I have an ORACLE5 database (MS-DOS), which consists of a lot of OS files
> in CD-ROM. I got the Personal ORACLE7 and would like to know how to connect.
> I got no ORACLE5 so, I cannot export and import to the O7.

I recommend that you track down a copy of Oracle5 for MS-DOS (I may even have an old copy around here somewhere). Is it the one in the grey binders (three of them in a box arrangement)? You will not be able to read that data without the corresponding Oracle system code. You will also need a complete (or mostly complete) database (the control files, the system tablespace, etc.).

> BTW, would someone tell me how ORACLE server obtain the physical filename
> of the database?

If I understand the question, the Oracle system code gets the physical information about a database from its CONTROL file(s). That contains a map of the corresponding physical files that make up the logical database.

Hope this helps.

Matt... Received on Sat Dec 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message