Re: 100 Gb DB solution wanted!!!

From: Kelly Bert Manning <bo774_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 1995/12/29

Ramesh Dwarakanath (rameshdw_at_world.std.com) writes:
> Hi,
>
> We are trying to setup a database for an application which
> will have a maximum of 100 GB of data to be queried upon at a
> time but these queries will be few and far between.... Hence
> the idea of having a database of 100 Gb size does not appeal
> too much.
>
> Is there an intermediate way of maybe having a combination of
> raw data on the Unix box and reducing the size of the database
> to about 25 Gb OR storing the data in the database itself in a
> compressed fashion OR any vendor/product to deal with a similar
> scenario etc...???
>
> Any ideas/suggestions are welcome...
>
> Thanks
>
> Ramesh
>
> Please reply to ramesh_at_itd.ssb.com

IBM MVS is now Unix certified. DB2 hardware compression is a standard feature with both and should be able to get this down to under 50Gbytes. The compression % depends on how variable the data is. Index data isn't compressed.

DB2 version 3 introduced some degree of Query I/O parallelism, but version 4 goes farther in splitting up large queries across a sysplex and in pipelining sorts and merges.

Other vendors may also have compression, but IBM does it with with hardware after it arrives from the I/O channel and before it goes back out. The hardware compression is also available on the CMOS processors, which have lower costs/MIP than the faster ECL processors.

--
notice: by sending advertising/solicitations to this account you will be
indicating your consent to paying me $70/hour for a minimum of 2 hours for