Re: What is Pro*C

From: Leng Kaing <leng_at_cougar.vut.edu.au>
Date: 1995/12/28

Chuck Hamilton (chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: What exactly is Pro*C and where do I get it? Or is it something that's
: automatically shipped with the RDBMS and I maybe I already have it
: unawares. (I have Oracle 7.1.6 on HP-UX.)

Pro*C is the embedding of Oracle SQL into a C program. Thus you have the procedural capabilities of C, and access to your database at the same time. The installation CD-ROM contain a lot of software. But you are only supposed to install the software which you have a licence for. Pro*C is not included as part of the core rdbms. It's a totally separate product and should only be installed if you have paid a license for it.

: If it's a C-like language, or C libs for accessing Oracle, I'd *love*
: to start using it. PL/SQL just doesn't cut it as a serious programming
: language.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to say.

--
Leng Kaing