Re: Rollback Segment Management Question

From: Keith D. Monton <kmonton_at_solar.sky.net>
Date: 1995/12/28

Francois Lachance (francois.lachance_at_sasknet.sk.ca) wrote:
: I have a question regarding the management of rollback segments.

: I have been told by Oracle Tech. support that it is not a good idea to
: keep the rollback segments maxed out at 121 extents, but didn't quiet
: understood why. Tech support told me that I should drop the rollback
: segments that had reached 121 and re-create them.

If Oracle Tech. support really stated this, then they need all the help they can get from the various DBAs that are out there working with their product.

If a rollback segment has reached the 121 extents marker and THE OPTIMAL FLAG IS NOT SET, then set the optimal flag to a reasonable value to reduce the number of extents. This way, ORACLE tries to maintain this size for the particular rollback segment specified. This is done via deallocating extents which the data is no longer of need for the various active transactions that are utilizing that particular rollback segment.

--
    |  |  __)   |  |  __)   |  |  __) Information Industries Inc. * Triple-I
   _|  |_ |    _|  |_ |    _|  |_ |   ORACLE Database Administrator/Developer
     (______)    (______)    (______)              Internet : kmonton_at_sky.net

     "Views expressed may not necessarily represent that of my employer."