Re: Novell 4, Ora7, Net 1.1, Server hangs when a client disconnects

From: Jim Kennedy <odysscci_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1995/12/27

In article <4bpbj7$qc1_at_dub-news-svc-3.compuserve.com> 75162.1330_at_compuserve.com (James Grigolite) writes:
>From: 75162.1330_at_compuserve.com (James Grigolite)
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>Subject: Re: Novell 4, Ora7, Net 1.1, Server hangs when a client disconnects
>Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 17:34:34 GMT

>"Richard G. Ramirez" <ou79138_at_deere.com> wrote:

>>A friend asked me to help with the following.

>>When they are running a large load or update (10-15,000 rows)
>>using SQL*Plus and the PC is disconnect for whatever reason,
>>the Novell server reports 100% usage and stops all processing.

>>Oracle support told them to study the basic concepts of rollback
>>segments. I don't see the connection. They have many (10-13) rollback
>>segments. The only strange thing is that several have 121 extents.
>>I know this is the maximum but this problem is unrelated. I saw
>>a case where SQL*PLUS displayed a message about being unable
>>to extend the RBS and the server didn't hang up. They have a
>>large RBS for large loads.

>>They have one instance of Oracle 7.1 running on an almost dedicated
>>Novell 4.1 server. SQL*Net is 1.1. The server also provides file
>>and printing services which are essentially the files for Forms
>>and Reports.

>>Any ideas,

>>Richard

>Before troubleshooting any further please check that this server has
>applied the patches available in 410PT2.EXE. This set of patches has
>resolved many 4.1 related hangs/abends. To find the offending process
>try checking processor utilization, F3, will show all processes and
>their load %. If 410PT2.EXE doesn't clear the problem finding the
>processes hogging CPU time is a step in the right direction. Good Luck

>James Grigolite...St. Bernard Software
>www.stbernard.com
>jgrigoli_at_stbern.mhs.compuserve.com

I have seen a problem with 4.1 that may be your problem. If you reboot the server and you see 100% utilization and people are not connecting to Oracle you have an NDS problem. You can see this by bringing up the server and doing load monitor. If it goes to 100% fairly quickly - within 3 minutes - this may be the problem. To see if it is unplug the cable(s) to the network cards and reboot. If the server does not got to 100% - like it did before - then the problem is NDS most likely. The NDS database got corrupted and needs to be repaired. If this is the problem it is not an Oracle problem; call Novell.

Jim Kennedy Received on Wed Dec 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message