Re: Oracle headed for Legal Trouble

From: Kenneth Nichols <knichols_at_deltanet.com>
Date: 1995/12/26

enduser_at_enduser.com (EndUser) wrote:
>you miss the point. the vertical packages are not sold
>in pieces. the product you are using is not the oracle database
>or the reportwriter, it is the whole vertical, screens, reports,
>database as an entity.
>
>what you are trying to do is redefine the product. you cant do that
>since a. you didnt create the product, and b. you dont sell the product.
>
>if you are unhappy with the product boundaries, dont buy it.
>it is still your right to not do that, but dont bitch becuse you cant
>buy just the tuner of the tv, or just the refrigeration coils of your
>amana, or just the rear two wheels of your car.
>
>--

This is not quite fair. It is certainly more common to unbundle accounting modules than to unbundle cars or refrigerators. Good pr= ogramming practice requires that modules be as loosely coupled as possible. Presumably Oracle knows this. So why do they force you=  to keep all the modules resident?

Of course you can avoid buying the product -- that is the stated purpose of threads like this one, namely, to get the word out. We = owe it to our clients and employers to warn them that this disadvantage comes with the Oracle product.