Re: LOCKING problems !!!!! HELP !!!!

From: Bill Thorsteinson <billthor_at_cesani.newforce.ca>
Date: 1995/12/23

Esther Salk (esalk_at_alpha) wrote:
: Hi,

: We have some problems with explicit locking. We are building an
: MS-Access client application storing it's data on an ORACLE-server.
: When one user tries to update or delete a specific record on a table,
: and this record is currently in use by another user, one has to
: wait for this lock to be released. Now I can find in an ORACLE guide
: the following: "If the wait for a row lock is excessive, users
: might want to cancel the lock operation and retry at a later time;
: you might prefer to code such logic into applications."

: Yes indeed, I would like to do this, I only don't now how. How can I
: cancel a lock operation which is already waiting??? My application
: just hangs and doesn't proceed until the lock is released ????
: Can anybody help me with this, please !!

I would suggest that you add the NO WAIT option to the statement and catch the error on the lock. You can then, notify the user, and retry periodically. I generally cancel the update in a case like this as you no longer know what you are updating or deleting.

: Esther Salk

It has been my experience that such collisions are usually rare.

: --

Bill Thorsteinson Received on Sat Dec 23 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message