Novell 4, Ora7, Net 1.1, Server hangs when a client disconnects

From: Richard G. Ramirez <ou79138_at_deere.com>
Date: 1995/12/21

A friend asked me to help with the following.

When they are running a large load or update (10-15,000 rows) using SQL*Plus and the PC is disconnect for whatever reason, the Novell server reports 100% usage and stops all processing.

Oracle support told them to study the basic concepts of rollback segments. I don't see the connection. They have many (10-13) rollback segments. The only strange thing is that several have 121 extents. I know this is the maximum but this problem is unrelated. I saw a case where SQL*PLUS displayed a message about being unable to extend the RBS and the server didn't hang up. They have a large RBS for large loads.

They have one instance of Oracle 7.1 running on an almost dedicated Novell 4.1 server. SQL*Net is 1.1. The server also provides file and printing services which are essentially the files for Forms and Reports.

Any ideas,

Richard Received on Thu Dec 21 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message