Re: Abbreviate Oracle Table Names?

From: Gary Myers <101355.3556_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 1995/12/21

In general descriptive names are best, so the longer the better. It should go without saying that the same attribute should have the same name on different tables, and standard names used where relevant (eg START_DATE and END_DATE shouldn't be in the same datbase as DATE_FROM and DATE_TO etc).  It is also useful to impose standard 'short names' for tables, to be used as aliases in SQL, block names in Forms etc. We go with four characters, so CUSTOMERS is always seen as CUST, PRODUCTS as PROD etc.  If it is particular users who are objecting to all the extra typing, why not supply them with standard views where the real table/column names are substituted with short names ?
 I'd be interested in people's experiences with View names. Should they identify the object as a view, or should the difference between views and tables be invisible, as far as possible ?   Gary

--
Gary Myers, Analyst/Programmer, Kaisha Technology, West of England