Re: Storing Large Objects/Documents to ORACLE database.

From: Stephen Macmillan <macmillan.stephen.sm_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: 1995/12/21

In article <4b9dd9$1o0_at_inet-nntp-gw-1.us.oracle.com>, xhomet_at_es.oracle.com says...

>Why not? Databases is a very good place to store large items.
>Oracle supports until 2 GB in long raw columns. If Silvia has some GPF's,
>then problem is in the tool that she's using, not on database.
>
>Xavier.

I have to agree with Xavier. On our current project we are storing a great many images in the database (SQLBase 6.01). We store all images compressed within the database (SalStrCompress) with no problems. It takes our SQLWindow apps about 2-3 seconds to decompress and display a 500k fax image, for example. This time is quite acceptable to our users. Also storing images in a database gives you the additional control over the images ie security, searching etc... This is of course assuming that you have a good database backup strategy in place ;)

Cheers,
Stephen Macmillan
BHP Information Technology
Newcastle, Australia Received on Thu Dec 21 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message