Abbreviate Oracle Table Names?

From: Cherie Machler <machl001_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Date: 1995/12/20

I am helping a large corporation I am consulting for to together some Oracle standards.

It appears that there will be some controversy about the naming standards for tables, columns, etc. Due to past difficulty in putting together names for associative tables on a very large project with a very large number of tables, they have made a decision to always abbreviate terms to two or four characters and run them together.

This has the disadvantage of being pretty cryptic. I've always thought you should spell out the names fully to make them as clear and descriptive as possible. Admittedly, I've mostly worked on the logical side and not physical implementation of these tables.

My question is this:
What do you do where you work? Always abbreviate or fully spell out table names unless it's not possible for particular instances?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Cherie Machler

Cherie Machler
machl001_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu Received on Wed Dec 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message