Re: Concurrent vs. Named Users

From: Brent Tucker <bxtucke_at_sp5-18>
Date: 1995/12/20

Steven Ray Lane writes:

> What are the pros and cons of using NAMED users over Concurrent users?
>
> Any insight that anyone can give me would be great.

The advantage of concurrent users is the potentially lower cost if you have many people working different. If you have 250 users using various apps, but only 100 'concurrently' logged on at any time, you could make due with 100 concurrent licenses.

If your users are all attached all of the time, the concurrent liscenses won't help.

Be aware of a couple of things, though:

  1. Oracle charges two times as much for a concurrent license as a named user. Buying concurrent licenses may be as expensive as named.
  2. If you add users and exceed your legal license count, Oracle still allows you to let those users work, you will just need to buy additional licenses ASAP. You can monitor this through the LICENSE_MAX_SESSIONS (concurrent), LICENSE_MAX_USERS (named), and LISCENSE_SESSIONS_WARNING parms. LICENSE_MAX_USERS prevents you from creating users in the database above the number of named users you purchased. LICENSE_SESSIONS_WARNING writes to the alert file if you exceed your concurrent count.

Hope this helps.

Brent
bxtucke_at_cp.mnet.uswest.com Received on Wed Dec 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message