Re: How to store a table on multiple datafiles (one tablespace of course) ??

From: <nsouto_at_acay.com.au>
Date: 1995/12/19

Pierre,

If you can "stripe" a logical disk over various physical disks at the OS level, then do so and use the resulting area as your database file for that tablespace. In some flavours of UNIX this is particularly easy to do.

This is much better than "striping" via ORACLE itself. This is achieved by allocating extents to the table file-by-file, using the ALTER TABLE command. There is some documentation on this in the latest SQL Language manuals.

The OS mechanism allows you to split I/O say on a cluster size of whatever you have configured ( I like a multiple of the write batch size of ORACLE for tables that get a lot of batch/bulk changes ). With the ORACLE mechanism, you basically fill up a file at a time with databse data, so of you get a lot of additions, you're basically only hitting the last file added, which is BAD!...

HTH Received on Tue Dec 19 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message