Re: Problems w/auto archiving - UNIX

From: Jeff Bridgwater <jdbridgw_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/12/18

kjohn_at_rdatasys.com (Ken Johnson) wrote:

>I have just installed Oracle 7.1.6 on our Sparc20 running Solaris 2.4
>and am having a problem with starting up automatic archiving.

.. snip ..
>background_dump_dest = /amd/oracle/admin/db71/bdump
>core_dump_dest = /amd/oracle/admin/db71/cdump
>user_dump_dest = /amd/oracle/admin/db71/udump
>log_archive_dest = /amd/oracle/admin/db71/archive/db71
>log_archive_format = _%s.arc
>#db_block_size = <blocksize>

>db_name = db71
>.
>.
>.
>log_archive_start = true # if you want automatic archiving

The typical mistake I've made in the past with starting archive logging is that log_archive_dest and log_archive_format are concatenated to form the archive log file name. I'm always making log_archive_dest a directory (actually, it happened twice; I'd learned by the third time :) ). In your case, your archive directory is '/amd/oracle/admin/db71/archive' and your archive file name will be db71_%s.arc. Make sure permissions are set properly on this directory.

However, I don't remember my error messages being the same as yours. It may also be a permission problem in your $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory on one of the executable programs. Which one?? Can't say right now as I'm not at work. If this is a recent install, you may have forgotten to do some of the permission changes that 'root' is supposed to do???

Jeff Bridgwater                     jdbridgw_at_ix.netcom.com
Server Technology Group Leader         Phone: 713/868-5537
DRT Systems International                Fax: 713/868-4014
Houston TX Received on Mon Dec 18 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message