(no subject)

From: Henk Wagterveld <hwagterveld_at_baan.nl>
Date: 1995/12/18

Hello,

I am wondering whether there is any research going on concerning the combination of versioning and replication in an object-oriented environment.

For example, we have two versions of an object on site A en B. When the object on site B is modified, we want to replicate this modification to site A. So it is possible to have different versions on different sites.

I think there are two possibilities of replication (or a combination):

  1. replicate pure data
  2. replicate method calls

Because of network performance, we prefer to replicate method calls. When replicating methods calls, several problems can occur:

  1. Method on object on site B is not available for object of site A.
  2. When a method invokes another method, it will be executed more than once, when it is replicated to its versions on other sites.

When pure data is replicated, i.e., the modificated objects or query statements, are replicated, we have to perform conversions between different versions to add the modifications to the database. This is also not straightforward.

I hope someone can help me.

Henk Wagterveld Received on Mon Dec 18 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message