Re: LookUp TABLE(s)

From: Randy Dewoolfson <randyd_at_cais3.cais.com>
Date: 1995/12/16

Roy Wagner (roywagner_at_aol.com) wrote:
: From your experience (of from something you have read), for a
: Client/Server application, would it be better to have 10 small similar
: lookup tables or ONE large table with a flag column to get the proper
: records. Note that if one table were used, not all the columns would
: contain data, some columns would be specific based on the flag values.

: Thanks.

Roy -
I have seen this done both ways. My personal preference is to make seperate tables. When you lump them together, then you might end up with a huge pile of reference records that you need to look through and maintain even though you are only really trying to pick one of two or three rows. If they all are small enough, you probably won't notice the performance hit but I like to keep it clean.

Randy :)

--
  .?$" '?i     .                              I  Randy DeWoolfson  I