Recreating a PO7 Database

From: <gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca>
Date: 1995/12/16

Hi,

Can any of you DBA-types shed light on this problem? I'm trying to recreate my  Personal Oracle7 database, but with a DB_BLOCK_SIZE=4096. Actually, I'm doing this to defrag my SYSTEM tablespace, but I thought I'd try and see if a larger block size would help my disk i/o.

I've exported my entire database, deleted all the datafiles that make up my database (including control and log files). However, creating the database leads to the following problem:

SQLDBA> startup nomount pfile=%oracle_home%\dbs\init2.ora ORACLE instance started.

SQLDBA> create database oracle
     2>     controlfile reuse
     3>     logfile '%oracle_home%\dbs\wdblog1.ora' size 500K reuse,
     4>             '%oracle_home%\dbs\wdblog2.ora' size 500K reuse
     5>     datafile '%oracle_home%\dbs\wdbsys.ora' size 25M reuse
     6>     character set WE8ISO8859P1;
ORA-00603: ORACLE server session terminated by fatal error
ORA-00376: file 1 cannot be read at this time
ORA-01110: data file 1: 'D:\ORAWIN\dbs\wdbsys.ora'
ORA-00376: file 1 cannot be read at this time
ORA-01110: data file 1: 'D:\ORAWIN\dbs\wdbsys.ora'
ORA-01501: CREATE DATABASE failed
ORA-01991: invalid password file 'D:\ORAWIN\rdbms71\PASSWORD.ORA'

I've tried running it with and without the datafiles (although the 'reuse' parameter should make this irrelevant). What really confuses me is the message regarding my password file. If it really is 'invalid', how do I recreate it? There doesn't seem to be an 'Oracle Password Utility' like there is in Unix.

Anybody run across this, and found a solution?

Thanks in advance,
Gary Wong (gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca)
Information Technology Consultant
Victoria, BC
Canada Received on Sat Dec 16 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message