Re: Permissions problems with Personal Oracle 7

From: Gordon E. Hooker <gordonh_at_acslink.net.au>
Date: 1995/12/15

cd827_at_cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Jeffrey J. McWilliams) wrote:

It is working exactly like it should be and I am sure all your users with the superuser role can access your table with no problems at all.

You see in Oracle each user has a schema and just say your name was fred and you created a table called oop. You have no problems referring to the table as oop. Now just say there was another user call harry and harry had the superuser role. For harry to refer to your table harry would have to prefix the table name with your schema name.

SQL> connect harry/password
SQL> desc fred.oop

                        your schema.tablename.

Now if you want harry to see your table oop through OPO harry will need to create a private synonym called oop based on the table fred.oop.

I hope this helps clear a few things up in your mind...

PS It would also be possible for harry to create a table called oop (provided he did not have a synonym called oop).
>I am using Personal Oracle 7 for Windows and Oracle Power Objects version 1
>
>With the users editor I've created a ROLE called superuser, to which
>I've assigned all database priveleges for the standard database.
>I've also created several users, including myself.
>These users I have assigned the ROLE of superuser.
>
>I then used the object manager to created a new table, calling it
>EDISON1. I, of course, have full priveleges, since I'm its owner.
>I've also assigned full priveleges for this table to the superuser role.
>This should, in effect, give all users with the superuser role, full
>access to my table, correct?
>
>It's not working that way.
>
>If I run SQLPLUS, log in as myself, and type
>
>describe edison1
>I get a description of the field names and their definition.
>If I log in as anyone else who has superuser role, the above SQL command
>returns an object not found error or something.
>
>The same happens with Power objects.
>I've created a new session. WIth the connect script as:
>Oracle:myuserid/mypassword
>
>Activating the session lets me see my table, edison1.
>If I change the connect string to the userid/password of
>any of the user superusers, I can't access my table.
>
>The question is: why aren't access priveleges working?
>If instead of granting table priveleges to a role, I grant them directly to a
>user, that user still cannot access my table.
>No matter what I seem to do, no one besides myself can access my table.
>
>Can someone help?
>
>Jeff McWilliams
>
>--
>Jeff McWilliams -->classic Atari black-hole resident.
>cd827_at_cleveland.freenet.edu

25 Clarke Street Ripley Queensland Australia Phone 61-7-32940555
Email gordonh_at_acslink.net.au
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ It is far far better to remain silent and appear a fool then to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Anon. Received on Fri Dec 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message