Re: Hot backups vs. Offline Backups

From: David Lewis <David.W.Lewis_at_DaytonOh.attgis.com>
Date: 1995/12/15

By not setting your tablespaces in backup mode for hot backups, how will you ensure that all your .dbf timestamps will not be messed up during a restore? We experienced a restore where all but two .dbf's weren't restored and Oracle barfed during a start up complaining about the timestamps. Ditto, Russell's comments.

I thought there was more to the issue than just whether users were accessing the files. Unless the database has been shut down normally (you can include shutdown immediate in this defintion if you want, many people would not) the database files will not be in a consistent state - ie some parts of a transaction may have been written to disk and other parts still be cached waiting writeback. Received on Fri Dec 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message