Re: Should we move from Forms 3.0 to Forms 4.5 or Power Objects?

From: Pauli Salmu <p.salmu_at_mn.medstroms.se>
Date: 1995/12/15

enduser_at_enduser.com (EndUser) wrote:

> precisely. forms 4.5 is really only useful to those emersed in the older
> tool, forms 3.0 and before.
> the paradigm is rough, and the complexity much higher. also, OPO has an
> integrated
> report writer, yo cant beat it for simplicity. by the way, i knew no
> basic before
> i started to use it, and i got by just fine, thanx.

Oh come on. What could be more useless than arguing about which one of these tools is "better"? They are different. In our shop too some people complain that Forms is too difficult to grasp, they would like to use something that resembles more a 3GL-language like e. g. Delphi. Personally, after being used to the object navigator of Forms 4.5 I found the development environment of OPO cluttered and awkward when I tried it the first time. It's a matter of taste and experience. Generally, Forms has higher abstraction level than OPO which means that you can do the most things faster and easier when you know the tool but it is somewhat less flexible.

Obviously you don't know Developer/2000 tools too well because you make a point of OPO having an integrated report writer. The report writer you can integrate with Forms 4.5 is called Reports 2.5. Received on Fri Dec 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message