Software Configuration Management for PCs and UNIX (Questions)

From: Wayne Little <R_W_Wayne_Little_at_rl.gov>
Date: 1995/12/15

We want to have a single set of source modules for our Oracle Forms applications that must run on BOTH PCs with Windows and X-Terminals
(UNIX based server).

We understand that the ideal solution is to just use one platform, but we were'nt given that option...

Any experiences in handling SCM (Software Configuration Management) for this situation? (the FMB source files have to be recompiled for the target plaform). We'd like to keep a single version of the code. The problem with the standard scheme per the SCM FAQ of using NFS seems to me to be that there is no automatic translation between the differing ASCII formats (PC has CR-LF and UNIX has just LF). We have a product called Samba (a common domain product akin to NFS) that can mount a UNIX drive on the PCs, (like NFS) but this doesn't solve the problem of the incompatible ASCII formats. Does PC-NFS do the automatic ASCII file conversion on access? (Samba does not.) To use SCM tools
(e.g. SCCS) on the UNIX side, we would need to convert to the UNIX LF
format. Since we create our files with our PC client tools, do we have to convert them to use/build it on the UNIX side? And then vice-versa do we have to kludge up a script (command) file that does the conversion before doing the generate? Does anyone use a scheme that pulls the files from your SCM files (e.g. SCCS) and loads them into the data base? (Then they could be compiled from either DOS or UNIX from the DB).

Any products anyone would recommend? Ideas? Approaches?

ADVthanksANCE,
Wayne Little, Boeing Computer Services - Richland Internet: R_W_Wayne_Little_at_RL.GOV "God loves each of us, as if there were only one of us." Augustine Received on Fri Dec 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message